I made a skirt this weekend.
I was taken by the beautiful angled folds of a skirt making the rounds on the internet, but when I tried to duplicate it myself at home, well…it took about six tries and even now there are things both objectively “wrong” with its structure as well as things I would change, creatively, if I was making it again. It’s too hard to discern the deliberate folds from the accidental folds, for one thing. For another, the waist fits funny, and I suspect that’s just additional proof that you can’t make a fabric tube and have it fit a not-tube-shaped person. This is a lesson I’ve learned over and over, and while I’m pretty clear on the concept, I’m still not always sure about the remedy. “Why” is easier than “how”, in this case.
The one thing I did learn, though, is that if I’m going to do an extreme pleated/folded project in fabric, it helps to visualize it first by folding a comparable strip of paper. I probably won’t be remaking this design, but I might try a different “folded” style design just for the fun of it, using a similar process.