The dress that would not be kept black!

2 Jul

It started as Butterick 4386, a versatile sheath dress.

Actually, it remains very much a B4386, as the only alterations I did were to shorten it and add pockets. Well, yeah, that and texturize the heck out of it with long strips of fabric. But that’s it.

I basically just copied a dress I saw a woman wearing in a restaurant. Hers had the sleeves stripped, as well, which I had a whole idea for doing in a way that would make the fronts wrap around the shoulder and match up with the back. But once I got the sleeves set in, I liked the way they looked, solid–like that finished detail emphasized the texture of the body, even farther.

I like this dress. There’s one strip on the front that I can see, from the photos, curves out of line (how does that happen?! And in such a visible place!) that I have to go back and fix. I added side seam pockets because hey–who can’t use pockets? But they do add bulk to the hips that shows in almost all the photos, and they gap open a lot, in spite of a fair bit of understitching, so I believe I’ll just be picking those out, now. Pockets, schmockets…that’s what handbags were invented for!

I think it would also be just fine in black…if ever I have enough black fabric, and am inspired to do it all over again.

8 Responses to “The dress that would not be kept black!”

1. dressesandme July 2, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

Love it! Well done

2. Javie July 3, 2012 at 12:36 am #

Cute dress! Like the textured strips on the dress – makes it extra special!

3. punkmik July 3, 2012 at 2:09 am #

I love the texturing it is great!!! I didnt notice the extra bulk but then one is always scrutinised ones own photos and creations more! I also like the solidness of the sleeves. I think it adds to the design!

4. Cheryl Marie July 3, 2012 at 6:21 am #

I have a favorite shirt that was textured in just the same way and I love how you did that on the dress. I just might try my hand at that! Great work – it looks awesome!

5. ooobop! July 3, 2012 at 7:51 am #

Fabulous dress. I like the sleeves left, undecorated. You did an amazing job… and must have the patience of a saint!! 🙂

• handmadejulie July 3, 2012 at 8:46 am #

It didn’t take very long, for the strips, actually–it was a pretty quick, straightforward project!

6. ReadyThreadSew July 3, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

I least I didn’t have to wonder about your project for long – the time from my comment on your previous post and then reading this post was about 30 seconds – I should learn to read ahead 🙂

I love, love, love this dress. Simple, but complicated at the same time (I will obviously never be a fashion writer).