Knitting a skirt

9 Apr

I’ve never knitted a skirt, before. I’ve heard knitted skirts are kind of stretchy and saggy and difficult to wear. But I was checking out a pattern (The “Which do you Choose” dress by Jill Stover), thinking I might make a sweater from it, and I found that the swatch I was playing with (with some Knitpicks “Simply Cotton” yarn I had on hand) that it knitted up pretty fast and might make a cool skirt.  It was pretty fast, and only took 2 1/2 skeins of the yarn.  And I found a really nice bright yellow fabric to make a little underskirt type slip to wear under it.

Unfortunately, when I walk, the underskirt rides up, and I have to do a lot of wardrobe-adjusting, so overall it’s kind of stretchy and saggy and difficult to wear.

But at least I’ve tried it out, and learned something. And the pattern is really nice…I’d probably like it better for a sweater.

10 Responses to “Knitting a skirt”

1. stirandstitch April 9, 2012 at 8:05 am #

i love the grey and yellow together. could you stitch the lining to the hem of the skirt to keep it from sliding up? it’s too cute not to wear!

• handmadejulie April 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

That’s a good idea–cotton tends to sag and hang lower with wearing, so I’ll have to wear it and wash it a few times before I can determine just how long the knitted fabric wants to be.

2. craftandcraftiness April 9, 2012 at 9:09 am #

What kind of yellow fabric did you use? Maybe something silkier would work better? Or you could add some elastic to the waist? It’s really cute on you!

• handmadejulie April 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

It has elastic in the waist, but it is just a light cotton (like quilting material). I looked for something silky but the shop didn’t have any, and I was eager to get it finished…so there’s plenty of time to change it around later. Thanks!

3. Smash Knits April 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

This loos great!! 🙂

4. ataylorsews April 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

My goodness, you’re busy! And that’s a pretty intricate knitting pattern. Great knitting job. I haven’t attempted patterns like that yet but one day I will. Too bad it’s not suitable for skirts but it’s as you predicted. I suspect the yarn and lining fabric are having an electronic (magnetism) struggle. This may sound silly but it works: try putting just a little lotion on your hose on the thighs (rub it on your hands and then on your hose) and see if that stops it from riding up. If it doesn’t, it must be a conflict between the lining material and the yarn.

5. nkd April 12, 2012 at 1:06 am #

Speaking of skirts, you might be interested in the one shown in Threads #146 starting on page 148. Very architectural.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Handmade Travel Outfits 5-5.5 « handmademess - April 18, 2012

[…] more, I kind of invented the skirt on the fly. I took out the yellow cotton underskirt from last week’s knitting project, and declared that a finished skirt, all on its […]