Oh, Shirt!

27 Mar

I’m venturing into shirts.

This one is Butterick B5497, made out of cotton jersey. I was so proud of myself because I got a double-needle, and felt so pleased, sewing real stretch stitches with very professional-looking seams. Until I broke rule 1 of sewing, and crashed right over a pin (rather than removing it just before it went under the presser-foot) whereupon one needle skewed into the other needle and everything mashed with a terrible grinding sound, and well…I ended up finishing the shirt sewing regular old straight-stitch and zig-zag stitch, with a regular old needle, old-school style. That’ll teach me, for getting fancy!

It’s a cute pattern, though. I like it. And I’ll buy another double-needle next time I’m at the sewing shop…or perhaps a couple, seeing how I am rather hard on things like needles.

16 Responses to “Oh, Shirt!”

1. Funnygrrl March 27, 2012 at 7:26 am #

Didn’t get your post title until I finished reading. Ha!
    I love the look a twin needle gives a garment. I’ve never hit a pin though I have missed grabbing them. Yikes!
    Beautiful top. Not sure how I missed this one…

• handmadejulie March 27, 2012 at 9:05 am #

I wasn’t sure anyone would get it. 🙂

2. prttynpnk March 27, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Wow- I love this and I want to see some double needle techniques!

• handmadejulie March 27, 2012 at 7:45 am #

I know nothing about techniques, but the double needle makes an easy stretch stitch, on a regular sewing machine–you just replace your regular needle and thread them each, from two different spools.

It makes perfectly parallel seams on top, with the bobbin zigzagging them together underneath, which makes it stretchy. And the seam looks like the finish hemming a lot of store-bought tee shirts. Easy, and cheap–if you don’t go crashing through your pins, at least!

3. Cheryl Marie March 27, 2012 at 7:42 am #

I really love your goals to wear things you’ve made yourself. I’ve thought about applying that to my knitting! Maybe once my finished projects add up a bit as currently my wardrobe would be very limited. I do also sew, so maybe I could give it a try…

• handmadejulie March 27, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Thanks! I thought it would be harder than it is, to be honest. It’s been surprising to find, once I dedicate some time to a pursuit, how simple it becomes to pull off.

4. Amy K. March 27, 2012 at 8:17 am #

I think it’s beautiful! I like the way the fabric drapes. Can you use a double needle on a regular machine? I have an old Singer. Where do you put the other spool?

• handmadejulie March 27, 2012 at 9:03 am #

Yes, you can! Just make sure the two needles aren’t set wider than the opening in your presser foot.
      For the second spool, I wound an extra bobbin. And I found my sewing machine actually had a second spool holder (So THAT’S what that’s for!) but you can also sit your bobbin right on top of (or under) the other other spool, on the same spindle, just turn it so the thread winds off the opposite direction so that they don’t get tangled. (One clockwise, one counterclockwise). It was remarkably simple…until the mash and grind pin collusion, of course.

5. mrsmole March 27, 2012 at 10:51 am #

Lovely results in spite of the hiccup! One way to never hit a pin is to hand baste the hem in place using veeeery long stitches and then you are safe. Even using my coverstitch machine I hand baste the hems up very loosely so I can still feel the stretch in the fabric. Once you are done the thread should slide out when you pull it as it has served as a guide as well.

6. nettie March 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

That looks so great!! Especially with the skirt! Great outfit and great job.

7. ReadyThreadSew March 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

I always pin parallel, rather than perpendicular, when I am using a twin needle. This works in two ways – the pins give me a guide where to stitch, and there’s little chance of breaking the twin needle. I have loads of spare single needles, but only one of each size/spacing of twin needles.

• handmadejulie March 28, 2012 at 8:06 am #

That’s a great suggestion! Thank you–I’ll do this, in an attempt to spare the life of my next twin needle.

8. On the Lettuce Edge March 29, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Oh, I like the shirt and I wanted to let you know I mentioned you on my blog yesterday as part of my sewing inspiration. (finding my sewing voice).

9. Smash Knits April 1, 2012 at 3:04 am #

This looks so lovely on you! Great combo with the skirt; love the color choices 🙂