Déjà Vu

13 Mar

Fabric shopping.
My eye is caught by a bright green lacy Indian cotton eyelet, with border scallops.  It’s available in about 40 colors. Many of them are beautiful colors, tan, rose, deep red, brown, navy– but my eye keeps going back to that green. Why? It’s not a color that looks great on me…but the color makes me happy. It’s bright, and cheery. I impulse buy 1 1/2 yards–it’s not expensive, and “I can make a skirt out of that.” (That’s my default fabric buying excuse. I can always easily make and wear one more skirt.)

Plus, if I make a skirt out of that, I’ll wear it with some other color that looks better on my skin, next to my face. (Yes. I rationalize. But that green!)

At home, I pin the fabric to my dummy. (I’m calling her “Long Tall Sally”, because that’s the song that popped into my head one day when I walked into my sewing room and saw her standing there.)

It looks good, but looking at it, I realize that I’ve been down this path, before. Why, yes–I might have been seduced by citrus green fabric with an embroidered scalloped border design, before, in my sewing lifetime. Even, before, thought the same thought: “I can make a skirt out of that!”

And indeed, it turns out, I can, and I already did.

(vintage “handmade mess” sewing project, circa 2000.)

Why, look at that.

Apparently, it is a color for which I have a lifelong affinity, particularly when there are little stitched-on leaves and flowers. And my go-to solution is to put it in a skirt, where it won’t be next to my face.  So I’m rethinking my plans for this fabric. How many scalloped-edged, lacy green skirts does a person need?  (Stay tuned to find out what becomes of this year’s length of lace…)

8 Responses to “Déjà Vu”

1. maria March 13, 2012 at 8:41 am #

Actually you can make a dress out of it 🙂 and it looks very different – I like it!
    m.

2. mrsmole March 13, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Is there a set limit for lacy green skirts? I don’t think so any more than black denim jeans or red shoes…if you love them, make them, wear them and take the compliments. Most folks shy away from bright happy colors but you know what? They secretly wish they had the guts and personality to pull it off. Be bold, make that skirt and enjoy every minute of it. Since that shade of green is hard to wear near one’s face maybe make a top with a tiny bit of it to show it was meant to be coordinated if that makes you feel better. I recently bought a collection of off cuts of cotton fabrics and in there was a real little gem…like yours but tangerine orange and just enough to make a little skirt for my granddaughter…who knew I would be lucky enough to get the hot color of the season?

• handmadejulie March 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

Tangerine is the hot color of the year! You’re fashion-forward, an “early adapter”!

I’ve decided that red lipstick will remedy all my color worries. Red lipstick is such a wonderful cure-all.

• mrsmole March 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

Amen! And the perfect complimentary color to green on the color wheel!

3. alethiea taylor March 14, 2012 at 12:00 am #

Very funny. Admittedly not something I have done yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I ever did. I see nothing wrong with having several different green lacy skirts. I plan to have 5 outfits of every color I like best — all bright colors!

4. Aurelia Ellerbroek March 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Wow, Awesome sight, and Bec and I love the things you’ve made so far…so creative! Don’t know where you find the time with work and all. So proud of you! Love, Aurelia and Becky

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Shift-ing into Summer « handmademess - June 9, 2012

[…] bring out the color. I went back to the embroidered Indian fabric I originally bought for a skirt, in March, when the weather was still cold. I wanted more than a skirt. Plus, I haven’t been sewing in a few weeks (other projects took […]