Trepidation

11 Mar

Sometimes I spend so much time in the “planning” stages of a project, I can hardly muster up the courage to move into “execution”.  Like, I have an idea, and I’ve tested it with scraps of fabric, and I’ve matched the idea to a particular fabric, and I’ve measured, and I’ve drawn out the pattern, and I’ve gotten all the things I need together in one place…and then I get stuck.

Like, “What if I’m forgetting something?” or “What if this idea would really work better on a slightly different item?” or “maybe I would like it better, in the end, if I added some other variation or detail to the design that I just haven’t thought of, yet.” “Maybe I should think about it, a while longer.”

The planning part of the project is full of fantasy. In my imagination, beforehand, every project I undertake quite naturally ends up wonderful. Taking a fantasy and making it real comes with risks. Sometimes things don’t match up to my imaginings. It’s this point just in between, teetering  between what’s in my head, and what might come to life on my sewing table….that’s the root of all my crafting procrastinations.

I could teeter here, for ages.

11 Responses to “Trepidation”

1. mrsmole March 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

The “thinking” stage is the most gut-wrenching and whether you are making something for yourself or a client…it requires lots of brain power. But it also gives you complete control and the chance to change your mind over and over. Some of us have garments waiting to be completed after 10-20 years because we can’t decide whether to add binding or facings…we can’t let go. Enjoy this phase!

• handmadejulie March 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Funny you should say so! This fabric is one I’ve been holding onto since 1998…so part of my trouble is “why commit now, when it’s looked so pretty, in my fantasy world, for this long?”

(But I did it…I cut into it. No turning back now!)

2. prttynpnk March 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Planning is dreaming- it’s all good.

3. rainjerette March 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

I have been thinking this myself. I have a bag to sew up for my mom, but keep wondering if there is a better idea – even though she has approved and loves the idea. So far I haven’t cut the fabric…….

4. Mary March 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

This is the incubation phase and cannot be rushed. I usually sew something easy while mulling over a more involved project. Have fun being creative 🙂

5. MadeByYoursTruly March 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

I am exactly the same! I’ve been thinking through two projects recently, down to the size, which fabrics, which direction the fabrics should best be cut in, which clasps to use etc etc, and I STILL haven’t started on either of them.
    Once I’ve posted this, I’m heading upstairs to blooming well start!

• handmadejulie March 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Best of luck to you! If your fashion fantasies are anything like mine, your projects will be fine if they turn out even only halfway perfect. 🙂

6. maria March 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

I know exactly what you mean. In my case, it is just the starting point that keeps me stuck! But once I cut pattern and fabric, things begin to move smoothly.

Enjoying your blog tremendously! 🙂

m.

7. alethiea taylor March 12, 2012 at 1:37 am #

You sure do speak for me on this one!!! Guilty here in Los Angeles.

8. catherinedaze March 12, 2012 at 2:28 am #

I have to tell myself “it’s only fabric”. Some projects stick worse than others!