Head-to-toe Handmade

10 Mar

It’s not technically a “suitcase challenge” because I didn’t spend the night, and hence, no packed bags…but I took a day trip, and I wore things I made.

I’m so crafty, I wear hand-knits on my hand-knits.

The green shell is my “Minimalist top“, in Knit Picks lace weight. Over that is my purple “Whisper Cardigan“, knitted up in The Best Yarn Ever, a.k.a. Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light.  The skirt is one of my many basic A-lines, patternless, made from whatever yard of novelty fabric I’ve fallen in love with most recently. (I made this one last summer, and wear it a lot, because there are a lot of lovely, subtle colors going on in there, so it goes with every other color.)

Even the bracelets are my own, one is knitted and one is one of my fabric-wrapped bangles:

8 Responses to “Head-to-toe Handmade”

1. Another Vegan March 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

Gorgeous, I love the idea of making an a-line out of one yard of fabric. Hummmm, got me thinking. Yes, it’s been a while since I’ve used my seamstress side of my brain.

• handmadejulie March 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

It’s my excuse to buy “just one yard” of pretty much any fun fabric I find. “I can make a skirt out of that!”

• Another Vegan March 10, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

I’m trying to get back into sewing as a part of reduce, reuse and recycle (and save money) – I have lots of fabric and it’s cheaper. Not to mention that the hum of my sewing machine relaxes me!! So. love your blog. Thanks for your inspriration and awesome pictures of hand made clothes that look amazing!!

2. ReadyThreadSew March 10, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

I doff my hat to you. I could never wear all handmade if it included knitted items because I never, ever finish anything (other than an occasional hat or scarf) that I start knitting.

Great outfit- and I adore that skirt fabric.

• handmadejulie March 11, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Thanks!
      This project has been forcing me to pick up some of my unfinished projects and commit to them…but I know what you mean–I’ve been there, for sure!

3. alethiea taylor March 12, 2012 at 1:31 am #

You look great. Go girl!

4. brownbirdgreenstring March 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

Impressed not only with two knits and a super-fun skirt, but bracelets that you made too!!! Fantastic!