Fun Fashion Accessories

31 Jan

Here’s something I’ve never thought of wearing before: Spats!

These are from Lux Legs, and I know they’re a little “out there”. But in my opinion, there’s a lot to like. The whole idea of spats is retro and/or steampunk, but I think some of these choices transcend that costume character and could be worn as a fun fashion element away from the theme park or con. I also like the way they change the silhouette of a shoe, and give the impression of ankle, calf, or knee-high boots, but without the investment or commitment of boots.  I wonder if spats wouldn’t be a fun sewing project, to play with this line and shape on legwear.

7 Responses to “Fun Fashion Accessories”

1. ReadyThreadSew January 31, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

I don’t see it. Hooker shoes+spats = Hooker shoes+spats. The spats don’t make the shoes look any less hooker-like. Maybe it’s just me and my age, but I’m just seeing more and more shoes as “hooker” shoes and spats won’t save them.

• handmadejulie February 1, 2012 at 12:07 am #

There are cute examples on that site over loafers and even sandals, too, if high heels aren’t your thing. But I know it’s a pretty particular taste, even so.

2. prttynpnk February 1, 2012 at 6:58 am #

Well, I am embarrased- I let out a giddy squeal when I saw these….I think tehy are too much fun.

• handmadejulie February 1, 2012 at 8:06 am #

*lol*
      Glad you like ’em! (How easy to sew, right?)

3. JDS February 2, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

I have to admit that I find them intriguing…kind of an updated take on the ’80s leg-warmers. Not sure how well they’d do for those of us with thicker legs, though…

4. Arlene February 15, 2012 at 3:16 am #

I’m old fashioned too, but I am liking many of those. Course, I’m probably just dreaming, I would probably not wear them, but my future daughter in laws would look great in them. I might try to make some and see what happens :0

5. jene26 May 14, 2012 at 6:44 am #

I really love the steampunk/rockabilly look. I think, with the right jeans, these would be great! Not appropriate for the office, though.