In with the New!

1 Jan

I started off the new year with a brand new handbag:

It’s corduroy, it’s gathered at the bottom with rows of gathers and at the top with elastic. It’s based on the bag pattern in the Burda Style Sewing Handbook, “Chie’s Variation”.

I changed some things–adding a silk scarf instead of the sash of the same bag fabric (although I made a sash, as well, if I ever want that look.) I removed the extra detachable strap, using the D-ring tabs instead for my main strap, but changing the proportions of that a little bit.

I also added extra pockets–this variation comes complete with a zipper pocket in the lining as well as two extras on the other side, which I appreciate, but I also added a pocket to the inside of each end panel, as well. I’ve never heard of a handbag with too many pockets, after all. (I laugh imagining it: “Oh, no! So many different perfectly designated places to put all my many various things!”)

And I changed the lining a little bit, making the elastic casings continue in corduroy so that the lining isn’t easily visible. I never did resolve my differences with the book’s pattern instructions, and largely because of this issue. The way I made it conforms with the illustrations on p. 175, diagrams 14, 15, and 16, which do not conform with the written directions, which are depicted in diagram 12  and the project photos. This contradiction (and others like it) are why I would not particularly recommend this book to beginning sewers who want to use it step by step for its patterns: it’s tricky to puzzle out the “creative differences” inherent in a pattern written this way.
But I like the bag in spite of this. I can trade out the scarf for other colors and make it coordinate with various outfits. The shape is slouchy and casual, and holds a good bit of stuff inside without looking lumpy or misshapen.

And it starts out my “make everything for myself” challenge, at the beginning of the new year, with a firm declaration. For this one step, at least, I can make it myself.

About these ads

9 Responses to “In with the New!”

1. ReadyThreadSew January 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

That’s a lovely bag. I have a bit of a corduroy addiction at the moment so seeing something other than a skirt made from it is really nice. I’m still uhming and ahhing about the Burda book but posts such as this one are nudging me towards it.

• handmadejulie January 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Thank you!
      It’s a good reference and idea source, at any rate. And I think I’ll do a corduroy skirt, next. ;)

2. prttynpnk January 1, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

I love this bag! I am making a new resolution….copying this bag soon!

3. Julija January 2, 2012 at 5:24 am #

Very nice bag. Love the scarf detail – I’ve been wanting to add a scarf to the bag for a while now, yet I still haven’t done this ;D By the way, the photos are amazing :)

• handmadejulie January 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Thank you! And thanks for commenting, because you have so very many bag ideas on your site! I’m going to need those, come spring. :D

4. andrealeecollections August 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Beautiful bag! Love the scarf idea. I haven’t made a bag before- I gather from your post that you don’t recommend this one to start? It’s soooo lovely! Please let me know if you are selling them? Thanks! ❤ http://www.andrealeecollections.com

• handmadejulie August 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

It depends on your sewing level, and your comfort working with patterns with inconsistent directions. I wouldn’t recommend it for a beginner, but it’s not awful, for someone used to working in three-dimensions. I don’t make anything to sell, it’s strictly a personal hobby. :)

5. Amber @ Rowan & Oak November 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

So which line did you end up cutting on for your lining (out of the three available)? The middle one? I want to fold over the outside portion an inch or so into the lining side like you did (and the book shows) but the directions won’t make it that way. Argh!! Off to try and puzzle it out…Oh, and your version with the scarf and corduroy is super cute! My favorite I’ve seen so far.